WE SUE DEBT COLLECTORS AND PUT MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
IT COSTS YOU NOTHING. DEBT COLLECTORS HAVE TO PAY YOUR ATTORNEY FEES WHEN WE WIN
Debt Collection Harassment
Our law firm sues debt collectors for harassment. We handle these case on a contingency fee basis, this means we don't get paid unless we win your case. These cases can put money into your pocket and get rid of your debt.
Are You the Victim of Harassment and Abusive Treatment by Debt Collectors?
- You may be entitled to money for false/misleading debt collection activity.
- You may be entitled to money damages for distress caused by abusive debt collectors.
- Save all collection letters.
- Save good notes on all conversations.
What is Debt Collection Harassment?
The simple fact that you are being contacted by a debt collector makes it likely that you are the victim of some type of harassment. Debt collectors have spent many years earning their poor reputations. Here are some examples:
Harassment. Debt collectors are not allowed to harass, oppress, or abuse you or any third parties they contact. They cannot:
- threaten you with violence;
- publish your name as a person who refuses to pay their debts;
- use obscene language; or
- annoy you through repeated phone calls.
False statements. Debt collectors cannot lie to you to collect a debt. They cannot:
- falsely claim that they're attorneys or law enforcement;
- falsely claim that you've committed a crime;
- falsely claim that they work for a credit reporting company;
- give you false amounts that you owe;
- falsely claim that papers they send you are legal forms; or
- falsely claim that papers they send you aren't legal forms.
Debt collectors cannot say:
- that you'll be arrested for nonpayment of debt;
- that they'll garnish or seize property or money if they're not permitted to do so by law; or
- that they'll sue you, if they don't really intend to or if doing so would be illegal.
Debt collectors cannot:
- report false credit information about you to credit reporting companies;
- send you official looking documents from a courts or the government if they're really not; or
- use false names.
Unfair practices. Unfair practices include:
- attempting to collect fees, interest, or other charges if the original contract or state law doesn't allow for it;
- deposit post-dated checks early;
- illegally take property or threaten to take your property; or
- contact you with postcards.
If you're late on your bills and a debt collector is contacting you there is a good chance you are being harassed. Don't be scared. Embrace and harassment. We may be able to turn Debt Collection Harassment into money for you.
What laws protect me from debt collection harassment?
If you think you're the victim of debt collection harassment, consider these questions:
What types of debts are covered by the law? Consumer debts only. Consumer debt includes mortgages, credit cards, student loans, medical bills and car payments. Business debts are not covered.
Can debt collectors contact me any time or any place? No. Debt collectors can only call at normal hours, after 8 a.m. and before 9 p.m.
Can debt collectors contact me at work? Maybe. This is handled differently between state and federal laws, but if they're calling your work tell them to stop and call our law firm right away.
Can I stop debt collectors from contacting me? Yes. Tell them to stop contacting you and make note of the time, place and mode of the conversation. Keep records if they keep contacting you and call our lawyers right away.
Can debt collectors contact others about my debt? Debt collectors can only contact 3rd parties to find out where you live or a valid phone number. But they're only supposed to contact a 3rd party one time. Debt collectors aren't allowed to give out any information about you or your debt. If a debt collector does call and harass your friends and family we will sue them.
Does the debt collector have to give me information about the debt? Yes. Debt collectors must send you a “validation notice” in writing within five days of first contact. This notice must include the creditor's name and how much you owe.
What if a debt collector sues me? Contact our firm immediately. We offer affordable collections defense and bankruptcy services. The worst thing that you can do is nothing.
DEBT COLLECTORS MUST TREAT YOU WITH TRUTH, FAIRNESS, DIGNITY & RESPECT
At Florida Consumer Lawyers you will always meet with a lawyer. That is our pledge.
If you are a victim of debt collector harassment or you believe debt collectors are not treating you with truth, dignity, and respect contact our firm today.
Florida Consumer Lawyers will review your claim and discuss the matter with you for free.