Last night, the CDC issued a new temporary Order placing another moratorium on evictions. Some of the high points of the new order include:
1. Preventing eviction based on non-payment of rent is the focus. Eviction for issues other than non-payment may still be allowable.
2. Temporary Orders apply to counties with high levels of community transmission (which is all of Florida).
3. Tenants must provide a completed and signed copy of the CDC declaration to their landlord.
4. This new Order expires on October 3, 2021.
5. There are significant criminal penalties for landlords that knowingly violate this Order.
It looks like this Order will stop most evictions for non-payment of rents. Landlords should keep in mind that they may be eligible to apply for federal relief due to the lack of rent payments,. To date 99% of Florida's portion of the federal relief funds are still available. Contact us for more information.